Newswatch offers numerous unpaid internship opportunities for students. Applicants should have strong writing skills and an eye for news. Both the duration of the internship and the effective hours put in are negotiable.
ADVANTAGE OF INTERNING WITH NEWSWATCH
There are a number of factors that work in your favour if you do an internship with Newswatch:
- We accept applications round the year. Therefore, you do not have to be concerned about juggling your academic schedule with the internship.
- You do not have to physically attend an office. So, you can telecommute, and pace yourself. Work from home, work from college, work from wherever it suits your convenience.
- You will not be able to grab the eyeballs of millions of ordinary readers, but you stand with the chance of being noticed by senior journalists / editors from the world over who frequent this site.
- Unlike college project reports which remain confined to dusty cupboards, you stand the chance of actually being published and noticed for the work you have done.
- You are free to do as many projects with us as you can.
WHAT YOU SHOULD DO FIRST
There are a few things you need to to before applying:
- Familiarise yourself with the Newswatch site first. Do not apply for an internship if you have no clue what this site is about.
- We are a news media site. So do not apply for an internship if all you want to do is write about films or cricket. But if you want to write about the relationship between cinema and media, or media and cricket, that would be a welcome idea.
- Our emphasis is on reportage and analyses. Do not apply if you want to write rambling opinion pieces.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- By default the copyright rests with Newswatch.
- The intern, however, is free to cite his/her contribution to the Newswatch site wherever and whenever necessary.
- All internship projects are unpaid as far as the internship programme itself is concerned.
- Interns, however, will be paid a maximum 25 per cent royalty on revenues accrued through sales / syndication / reproduction of any research project report(s). The revenue excludes incidental expenses incurred for the execution of the sales / syndication / reproduction.
- This royalty does not include advertising revenue accrued from display of the project report(s) on the newswatch.in website.
HOW TO APPLY
You need to follow the following steps:
- Email editor(at)newswatch(dot)in with a copy of your CV and a scanned photograph. Interns are advised to mention their specific areas of interest/expertise so that the experience gathered by him/her is relevant and serves him/her in good stead.
- Internships are allotted only on recommendation from the head of the institution/department where the applicant is studying. The recommendation must be sent to editor(at)newswatch(dot)in. Should there be a problem in sending the recommendation by email, the applicant may send a scanned image of the letter. It must be addressed to Editor, Newswatch.
- Do not forget to mention when you would like to start on the internship.
- Internship applications not conforming to these guidelines will be summarily rejected.
- Kindly don't make phone calls.